Thursday, January 7, 2016

Desert Island


deserted-island.jpg
<http://paninihappy.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/deserted-island.jpg>


I opened my eyes. Where was I? The sound of roaring waves resonated throughout my ear canal. Everywhere I touched, I could feel small grains sticking to the palms of my hand, and back, sticking to any exposed skin. Every grain of sand was glowing, like a memory. They stuck with me forever, and I never forgot about them. But once in awhile there was a piece of gravel, which was painful, and uncomfortable to remove. Once it was gone, it was the best feeling in the world. I sighed, looking up at the blue sky.


How did I end up on this lonely island? It was just a lump of land sticking out from the ocean, with a tree in the middle of it -- your stereotypical desert island. I turned around to face the tree, and scanned the plant up and down. It had carvings on the bark.


“C squared is equal to A squared plus B squared?” I raised an eyebrow, as I read one of the carvings out loud.


Most of them were just mathematical formulae, and theories in chemistry. It was probably my knowledge, which grew every time I learnt something new.


I walked around the tree, which stirred a few minutes after I did a full circle around it. It was a seagull.


“Who are you?” I asked, looking up at the seagull, who seemed to be staring down at me.


“Someone who isn’t relevant,” it said, in an oddly familiar voice.


I raised an eyebrow and sat under the tree. I had no idea what it was. Sure, it was a seagull, but what did it represent? Soon another one sat on down next to it, then another one, until a whole crowd of seagulls were on the palm tree.


Soon, one lone seagull, one that was different from the others, sat next to me. “Hello, why aren’t you sitting on the tree?” I asked, looking down at the lone seagull.


It looked tired, but still happy. Another seagull just like it landed next to it, looking up at me as well. “Because I went through all of those memories with you. It is my duty to share the sorrows, and happiness with you,” they said in unison, their feet sinking into the sand below them. I then looked up at the birds on the tree.


“Who are they?” I asked, pointing at the birds.


“People in your life who you remember, but not in your most important memories. They are just friends, and stay on the tree of knowledge,” they explained, glancing up at the tree, and looking back at me again.


That’s when the realization struck me -- they were my parents, and the ones on the tree were my friends. This island was just a small part of my brain, the vast oceans were my subconscious, waiting to be explored.


“I see..” 

I understand everything now.


No comments:

Post a Comment