Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Wave-Board

Skateboard. Digital image. Wallpapers Wide. N.p., n.d. Web. <http://wallpaperswide.com/skateboard-wallpapers.html>.
The good thing about being in 8th grade was that I didn’t need my mother to drive me around everywhere. It was getting embarrassing already. I rode my bike over to my friend Jack's house on a cool October afternoon. We didn’t have any special plans. We were just going to hang out together and talk about stuff like we always did, maybe shoot some hoops.  As I swung my bike onto Jack's driveway, he came excitedly towards me saying, “Hey Edgar, hurry up! Come into the garage. You have got to see this!” I felt myself getting excited, wondering if he was going to show me some forbidden magazines or something like that.
Jack said, “Wait here,” and he ran into the garage. He came bursting out on a dope skateboard unlike any I had seen before. It was made out of two segments that got narrow towards the center where they were hooked together. He pulled up in front of me in the smoothest slide I had ever seen.
“Whoa,” I exclaimed. “Sweet. What is it and where did you get it”?  
“It’s a skateboard my dad and I named Wave-Board: there’s nothing like it out there.  We made it here in my garage. My father and I worked on it for months, planning, sketching it out and then putting it together. My dad is going to patent it and get it manufactured. We’ll get rich, and be famous!”  
“Cool,” I replied, “Can I ride it?”
“Sure,” Jack answered, “Get ready for the ride of your life!”
I hopped on it and it took a while to get the hang of, but eventually I had it going. it rode silky smooth like I was actually gliding on waves. As I rode this amazing skateboard a thought like a dark cloud passed through my mind. I think I felt jealous of Jack, not just because of the awesome skateboard, but also because of the fun he had creating it with his father. But as briskly  as the thought entered my mind, it sailed away just as fast and I was whooping and laughing.
As the day faded into early evening, I realized that I had to hurry home for dinner. I hopped on my bike, which was lying at the top of the driveway.
“Bye Jack, see you at school tomorrow.”
I heard Jack reply, “See you Edgar.”
As I picked up speed going down the driveway, I felt a slight bump and continued to race home so I wouldn’t be late. I didn’t want to get in trouble. My parents could be tough that way. Later that evening as I lay in bed, I thought about the fun afternoon and cool wave-board. All of a sudden, a sick feeling hit my stomach and I remembered the bump. Nah, I said to myself, It must have been a stick.






No comments:

Post a Comment